Thursday 23 October 2014

Taxing church is double burden – Adeniran, Deeper Life pastor

Taxing church is double burden – Adeniran, Deeper Life pastor

0
Pastor John Abiola Adeniran is the Overseer of the Deeper Life Bible Church in Osun State. He had lived in Chibok, Borno State, where more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted by Boko Haram insurgents. He spoke with BAMIGBOLA GBOLA­GUNTE recently. Excerpts:
How did you become a pastor?
I was a teacher. As I was teaching, I was also involved in the work of the Lord, in the work of the Scriptures Union. We used to have Scriptures Union camp and go to places, schools and also to villages to minister. It was as a result of that I got involved in the work of the Lord.
It was 1985 that I got into full-time min­istry. Before then I had been in teaching, but when the Lord ministered to me that I should go into full-time, I had to go.
How did you get into Deeper Life Bible Church?
I had some interactions with Pastor W.F Kumuyi as far back as 1970. By the grace of God, I gained some things that helped me spiritually in attending some of the programmes they held between 1976 and 1980. I used to attend the church retreats and I was really blessed, especially concerning the messages of holiness. God helped me to have interactions with him. It was from there I got more interested in the ministry of W.F Kumuyi.
Having worked as a pastor in Chibok, Borno State, how would your experience?
Chibok is in the southern part of Borno. Around 2002-2004, I had the opportunity to minister in the area. It is a predominantly Christian community, and very unfortunate the place was neglected for years. They are peace-loving people. They really opened their hearts to the gospel.
Many of those who are pastors and mis­sionaries in Borno State are from that area. These are people who desire that their com­munities be changed and people’s lives trans­formed. It is unfortunate that these Chibok shoolgirls were just kidnapped. We believe
damage
Some foreigners predicted that Nigeria will disintegrate in 2015, what is your take on this?
I want to believe that Nigeria is not going to disintegrate because God’s plan for Nigeria must be fulfilled, God’s will for this country is to continue to be one and for us to fulfill the purpose of being able to help the future generations, they are going to benefit from the unity of the country. I don’t really buy the view of those foreigners that Nigeria is going to disintegrate.
What is your assessment of the Presi­dent Goodluck Jonathan administration?
I thank God for the regime of President Goodluck Jonathan. He is doing his best to keep Nigeria one, in spite of the security chal­lenges. He is really bringing the various tribes together; he is not discriminating; he is really doing his best to see that there is progress in the nation.
What is your take on the National Conference recommendation for churches to pay tax?
The issue concerning payment of tax by churches is a terrible one. That might not be helpful to us in this nation, because the yard­stick used for the secular ones cannot be used for the Church. Many people come to the church they pay their tithes for the progress of the work of God. For them to be asked to pay tax may not be helpful.
The more churches we have in Nigeria the more the issue of corruption and other vices, what is really happening?
We believe that the fact that we are seeing corruption, immorality, wickedness here and there does not mean we do not have people who are living uprightly. There are people who are living righteously, but we need to continue preaching the word, to see that more churches are planted and more lives are transformed.
On daily basis, many souls are being born into the world and we need to see larger per­centage of these people becoming righteous and live holy lives. That is why we must emphasize the preaching of the word of God and establish more churches to transform our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment